Aloo paratha and Spiced curd is always my favorite go-to meal. Yesterday afternoon, I had some time off and I made these Aloo Parathas. Time perfect that I could serve these aloo parathas for dinner
It happened that kids loved to have it as an after-school food. I can imagine the heat the children face at school due to the heat waves in India. It is too hot and the moment they reach home, they are very much exhausted. After a quick school lunch, the kids are hungry too.
Aloo parathas with some spiced curd are all they wanted yesterday. This so much made my day. This is a recipe which suits for vegetarians. Vegans could try the recipe by avoiding the ghee part while cooking the parathas. Also,replace curd with pickles and sliced onions.
As a south Indian, I never had a chance to have aloo parathas at home. Once my dad bought aloo paratha from a restaurant near his workplace. It was so delicious that I asked one of my north Indian colleague for the recipe and started making it on my own. Initially, I found myself messing it up. But now it is so easy and it comes out really well and I make it every now and then.
Ghee fried Crisp surface area of the parathas with spicy potato filling made the parathas rich and delicious.
If making a smooth dough for paratha is difficult for you, I strongly suggest using a food processor to make a smooth and pliable dough. Believe me, it comes out so good.
- Food Processor
- 3 litre Pressure cooker
- Flat Tawa
INGREDIENTS FOR MAKING DOUGH
- 2 cups Whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¾ cup water
INGREDIENTS FOR POTATO STUFFING
- 1.5 cups Boiled and mashed potato
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1.5 tsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp Ginger fine chopped
- 1 Green Chilli fine chopped
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves fine chopped
PREPARATION OF THE DOUGH FOR PARATHA
- Add whole wheat flour, salt to the food processor. Add few drops of water while continuously running the food processor on low till a smooth pliable dough is formed. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes in an air tight container.
PREPARATION OF ALOO STUFFING FOR PARATHA
- Combine all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
PREPARATION OF ALOO PARATHAS
- Divide the dough into 12 equal parts and roll them into smooth ball shaped dough
- Roll out the dough to form a 3 cm radius circle
- Place 2 tsp of stuffing on the rolled out dough. Pull the edges of the dough and pinch together so that the stuffing is well sealed inside
- Dust a tbsp of flour and roll the aloo stuffed dough into flat parathas
- Heat a tawa and place the parathas gently on the tawa
- Drizzle ghee generously and cook on medium heat
- Flip the paratha and cook on other side
- Repeat the process till the parathas are well cooked